Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Hot Diggity Dog - The Kansas City Dog



BBQ sauce, bacon, cheddar cheese.  


Recently, when Hot Diggity Dog revamped their menu, adding new hot dogs to their already fantastic lineup (which I have only begun to scratch the surface of here) I was intrigued to try out these new concoctions. Its kind of odd when I think about it, getting excited to try a new hot dog... What can really be done to change a hot dog? how do you reinvent the wheel? I had never thought of hot dogs as being an empty canvas on which to tirelessly throw random ingredients onto, like you're some sort of Jackson "Hot Dog" Pollack, Hot Diggity Dog has proven it possible, and none more so than with this: The Kansas City Dog...  


I have never been to Kansas City, in fact, I don't even know if I could find it on a map.. yeah I get it, its in Missouri, and also Kansas, but where even are those states? somewhere in the middle of america... thats all I choose/need to know. I also don't know one single thing ABOUT Kansas City, do they even like BBQ sauce? I am led to believe that in most cases on the HDD menu, the cities represented don't actually eat their hot dogs the way they make them here (Chicago is an obvious exception) and its really more of a generalization of each town's culture reinterpreted into a hot dog...  however, if I am wrong, and the people of Kansas City really do wrap their hot dogs in bacon, dump BBQ sauce on them and melt cheddar cheese on top of all that delicious mess, then I am packing up and leaving for Kansas City YESTERDAY because that sounds like Heaven on Earth.  


The BBQ's sweet and tangy aroma comes at you first, and threatens to overpower everything, had I not taken my time with each bite, and devoured this hot dog like some ravenous starving monster (like I wanted to) I probably would have missed the subtle notes of bacon and cheese serving as the back up band to hot dog and BBQ's insane flavor duet. 
Make no mistake, the bacon and the cheese are crucial ingredients here, the bacon adds a salty crunch and the cheese, a sharp finish.  


What more do you want? this hot dog is like the Beatles of hot dogs.. 
to explain (if necessary)
John - hot dog
Paul - BBQ 
George - Bacon
Ringo - Cheddar
if one element of either the Beatles or this hot dog goes missing, its just not the same. they all work well on their own, and you can mix and match, and make some great things... but you're just not going to have the chart topping smash hits that you get when everyone is involved. 


all together now.  


9.2


HOT DIGGITY DOG is located at 1325 Fruitville Pike, Lancaster PA

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License