Saturday, February 6, 2010

Hot Diggity Dog - The Memphis Dog



I don’t know that I would necessarily associate chili and coleslaw with Memphis. Maybe coleslaw (I am told that it’s a very southern thing to do – when in doubt, put coleslaw on it) barbecue to me might make more sense… However, it’s Hot Diggity Dog’s world, and we’re just eating in it…


The chili here is the same chili as the chili on the Cincinnati dog, (not Cincinnati style chili, mind you) which means its from a can and it comes from Vienna Beef (where they get their hot dogs from). The chili is fine, its not too spicy, there are not giant kidney beans all over the place, its just plain old, unassuming chili. Fine by me, I’m not chili’s biggest fan.
The coleslaw is made on site, and it’s well.. a little different from the coleslaw I am used to. I’m used to it this way- cabbage and carrots both finely chopped, and plenty of sauce, a very thin creamy sauce. Not something I would want to put on top of a hot dog, as it would soak into the bun and just not end well… Hot Diggity Dog’s coleslaw is the complete opposite of all that I have known… The cabbage is coarsely chopped so its more like chunks of cabbage, and while there is a sauce mixed in there, they don’t use a lot, so it poses no issue to the hot dog bun.

The hot dog really does work well with the chili (they both come from the same company so I guess that makes sense) and actually the two together almost completely overpower the coleslaw, it was there only as a crunchy sidekick, riding shotgun (if riding shotgun means sitting in the trunk), I mean, I suppose there was a slight hint of cabbage’s sharp yet buttery flavor, but not enough to stand up on its own in the mix.  
If it were up to me, this Memphis dog would be maybe – BBQ sauce, French fries and coleslaw, that sounds more like it… I think the fries would stand in to bridge the gap between coleslaw and bbq, letting each one have a little time to shine. Its not up to me, however. This is Hot Diggity Dog’s world, and I’m just writing about it.

6.6

HOT DIGGITY DOG is located at 1325 Fruitville Pike, Lancaster PA


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License